You’ve probably heard it by now: you can almost reach out and touch Parliament Hill from our FSS (Faculty of Social Sciences) building, which is located right in the heart of uOttawa’s downtown campus, just steps from embassies and City Hall.
The Faculty of Social Sciences has a long history of bringing the world into the classroom. Student associations and the Faculty administration collaborate to organize high-profile events and political science professors often bring top-ranking national and international dignitaries into their classrooms to exchange ideas with students, which is pretty awesome if you’re interested in making the world a better place!
But there are other reasons for choosing to study here…
Top 5 reasons to study Social Sciences
- Customizable degrees: zone-in on one specific discipline (disciplinary program), on two disciplines (pick a double major, or choose a major, a minor), or customize your degree into a more multidisciplinary one.
- Bilingualism or not, it’s your choice: study in English, study in French, or study in both languages.
- Put theory into practice: build your unique job market profile while doing your degree! Take advantage of:
- international internships
- field research courses
- Learn scientific approaches for studying people, systems and societies (build competency using both qualitative and quantitative research methods).
- Get the job market skills that employers are looking for! In a fast-paced and content-rich world, you’ll want to showcase how you learned to:
- gather and sort through data;
- spot and analyze trends;
- generate meaningful information that influences key decision makers;
- use facts and develop logical reasoning to support your vision for the future.