Each year, in early March, the School of Social Work organizes National Social Work Week. Lectures, roundtables, workshops and other activities are organized around a theme determined by an organizing committee made up of students, other members of the school, and the community. The goal of the week is to enhance the student experience outside the classroom, and to create a space for exchange, awareness raising and mobilization concerning the different realities of social work, particularly in French Ontario.
National Social Work Week 2022 Theme: «Regards et outils diversifiés en intervention sociale»
March 7 to 11, 2022
For the thirteenth consecutive year, social work students, the School of Social Work and the Faculty of Social Sciences invite you to participate in the various activities organized for the University of Ottawa's National Social Work Week.
This year, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we had to adapt our format to this reality. Therefore, all of our events will be held online. In the face of many upheavals, not only in terms of the pandemic, but also in terms of the systemic racism and colonialism that has continued to mark the past year, the theme of this week is the need to broaden our perspective and adopt diverse tools, including those from First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities, in order to renew our practices in social intervention.
Spread out over a whole week, these activities will allow you to live different experiences related to your program of study while offering you the opportunity to virtually meet your professors, students registered in the different programs offered at the Faculty of Social Sciences as well as members of the community. Most activities are open to all community members interested in participating and one activity is exclusively reserved for social work students.
All activities during the week are offered only in French and no translation will be done during them.
Once again this year, all of the Week's activities will be offered virtually.
Participation in each activity will require registration. Please visit the French National Social Work Week 2022 page to find the Evenbright links to register for the activities that interest you.
Events scheduled for the National Social Work Week 2022:
- Monday March 7
- 13h to 16h30: National Social Work Week 2022 Opening Ceremony and Presentation of School of Social Work Faculty Research
- Tuesday March 8
- 18h to 20h30: Conference on the Marginalization of Aboriginal Women with the Honourable Senator Michèle Audette as guest speaker
- Wednesday March 9
- 13h to 16h30: Student conference - 2nd edition
- Thursday March 10
- 18h to 20h: SVS Student Discussion Space (Reserved only for students registered in one of the three cycles of the School of Social Work at the University of Ottawa)
- Friday March 11
- 9h to 12h: Panel discussion: Intervention using Aboriginal practices and tools and closing ceremony for National Social Work Week 2022