The Faculty of Social Sciences offers annually on a competitive basis course releases to full-time professors. The course release is for the next academic year.
To support the research efforts of members of the Faculty of Social Sciences who hold important research grants from the Tri-Council or other external funding agencies.
- The applicant holds a full time tenure or tenure-track professorial position at the University of Ottawa
- a) The candidate holds a research grant as Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator, or
b) the candidate is a co-researcher on several important research grants
In either case, the candidate has not received any professional fees from the award(s) in question.
- Applications received during an extension year of a grant are not considered eligible
- A description of the research project (or a copy of the summary page of an external application)
- Justification of the time required for the research project
- An account of the number and duration of research assistantships awarded as well as a description of the tasks to be performed by research assistants
- A copy of the grant award notification
- An official copy of the teaching workload for the last three years signed by the unit chair
- A letter describing the anticipated teaching workload for the coming year (the course for which the release is requested should be discussed with the department chair)
- A letter of support from the unit chair
- The justification of time required for the research project
- The number of research assistants hired for the project
- The graduate supervision activities of the candidate (normally, supervising at least three graduate students at the University of Ottawa, two of whom are registered in a program at the Faculty of Social Sciences)
- The teaching workload over the past three years
Preference will be given to professors who have a full teaching workload. Faculty members who have benefited from course releases from their department are not eligible. Professors already receiving course release for research from the Faculty are not eligible. Support will not be given in a year when a professor has a half academic leave.
The candidates supported by the program are requested to submit to the Vice-Dean, Research (rechFSS@uOttawa.ca) a report within three months following the end of the time release (1-2 pages). This report will describe the important research accomplishments realized during the time release.
One PDF document including all elements of the proposal sent by e-mail to rechFSS@uOttawa.ca.
If the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday it will be extended to the next working day. Incomplete and late applications will not be retained.
For more information, please contact Sophie LeTouzé.