For a variety of reasons, faculty members may find themselves with floundering research programs: perhaps you have had heavy administrative loads; perhaps you were on leave and found it difficult to get back on track; perhaps you changed topics and have found it difficult to get re-established… For whatever the reason, you may find yourself in a situation where you are not eligible for existing financing sources or, even if eligible, your recent publication record is too weak to warrant funding.
The purpose of this program is to provide some financial assistance to help kick-start your research program. Ideally, these funds will help individuals to engage in productive research that could lead to, for instance: 1) promotion, 2) applying for external funds, and/or 3) increasing graduate student supervision.
- The applicant holds a full-time tenured or a tenured track position at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ottawa.
- The applicant has been an independent researcher for more than 10 years.
- The applicant has not held - as a principal investigator - an award from one of the federal granting agencies or another external agency for at least 7 years.
April 15 and December 1
- Description of the fresh-start research proposal consisting of:
- Research activities that will be undertaken (max. 2 pages)
- Timeline for the execution of the research activities (max. 1 page)
- Budget justification (approx. 1 page)
- Explanation of the importance of the funding to bolstering research activities (max. 1 page)
- RE Form
Budget Justification and Eligible Expenses
- The total amount requested cannot exceed $10,000.
- Funds received from this program can be used for the following expenses:
- Research assistants
- Essential research supplies
- Research-related travel for data collection
- Research-related travel for participating in a conference
- Other research costs
- Need for funds
- Strategies to help bolster research activities
- Justification of the budget relative to the requirements of the proposed activities
One PDF document including all elements of the proposal sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline will be extended to the next working day. Incomplete and late applications will not be evaluated.
For more information, please contact Sophie LeTouzé.