Once a year, the Faculty of Social Sciences will hold a competition for the creation of a Study and Research Laboratory. The Faculty will provide a maximum non-renewable funding of $2,000 and one (1) Research Assistantship a year for three (3) years. Continued funding is conditional on the approval of an annual report describing the activities carried out, the spending and the activities planned for the following year.
The main goals of a Study and Research Laboratory are to prompt discussions and exchanges between professors and graduate students around a common problem. The program also aims to share research results, to ensure the transfer of knowledge and to enhance the expertise of our researchers.
Laboratory activities may include conferences, public debates, mini-conferences, presentations of research work and informal research meetings. They do not include funding for teaching releases or travel to conferences. The Research Committee is responsible for reviewing all applications, including the annual reports, and to make recommendations to the Dean.
- The laboratory members must include at least five (5) professors from at least two (2) academic units.
- The Director must hold a tenured or tenured-track position at the Faculty of Social Sciences.
- If the Director is a member of a Research Center, an Institute or holds a Research Chair, they must explain how the proposed activities will be distinct from those of the Research Center, Institute or Research Chair.
- The Director has not received funding from this program within the last five (5) years.
- Proposed name for the Study and Research Laboratory
- Description of the problem, objectives and operating activities of the laboratory (3 pages maximum)
- List of members
- CV of all participating professors
- RE form
- Quality of objectives and proposed activities
- Quality of the members research
- Supervision of graduate students
- Integration of new Faculty members
- Justification of the proposed budget
- Effects on the visibility of the Faculty and the University
The recipient is asked to submit an annual report to the Office of the Vice-Dean, Research before June 30. This report should describe the activities of the laboratory, as well as the participation of colleagues and graduate students. The recipient is also expected to acknowledge the Faculty’s financial support in their activity programs and all promotional material.
One PDF document including all elements of the proposal is sent by e-mail to rechfss@uOttawa.ca. If the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline will be extended to the next working day. Incomplete and late applications will not be retained.
For more information, please contact Sophie LeTouzé.