Once a year, the Faculty of Social Sciences will hold a competition for the creation of a Research Group. The Faculty will provide a maximum non-renewable funding of $2,500 and one (1) Research Assistantship a year for three (3) years. Continued funding is conditional on the approval of an annual report describing the activities carried out, the spending, the activities planned for the following year and the long-term research and funding strategy.
The main objectives of Research Groups are to generate synergy between Faculty researchers, increase the visibility of social science research, and facilitate the acquisition of external grants, the supervision of graduate students and the integration of young professors.
The budget can be used for professional networking costs, the purchase of databases and of licences for software, as well as for hardware.The budget cannot include funding for teaching releases or travel to conferences. The Research Committee is responsible for reviewing all applications, including the annual reports, and to make recommendations to the Dean.
- The members must include at least three (3) professors.
- The Director must hold a tenured or tenured-track position at the Faculty of Social Sciences.
- If the Director is a member of a Research Center, an Institute or holds a Research Chair, he or she must explain how the proposed activities will be distinct from those of the Research Center, Institute or Research Chair.
- The Director has not received funding from this program within the last five (5) years.
- Proposed name for the Research Group
- Description of the research questions (3 pages)
- Student involvement (1/2 page)
- Description of synergy between team members (1 page)
- Description of the strategy for submitting to external funding agencies (1 page)
- Budget justification (1 page)
- CV of all participating professors
- RE form
- Quality of the collaborative research program and operational activities
- Quality of the research record of the members
- Supervision of graduate students
- Integration of new professors
- Justification of the proposed budget
- Effects on the visibility of the Faculty and the University
- Strategy for submitting to external funding agencies
The recipient is asked to submit an annual report to the Office of the Vice-Dean, Research before June 30. This report should describe the activities of the group, as well as the participation of colleagues and graduate students. The recipient is also expected to acknowledge the Faculty’s financial support in their activity programs and all promotional material.
One PDF document including all elements of the proposal is sent by e-mail to rechfss@uOttawa.ca. If the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline will be extended to the next working day. Incomplete and late applications will not be retained.
For more information, please contact Sophie LeTouzé.