Programming is currently being delivered virtually, with plans to resume hybrid and in-person delivery in the coming months. Please consult the University of Ottawa website for up-to-date information about University-wide policies pertaining to COVID-19 and public health guidelines.
The Program is designed to prepare promising executives for positions of greater leadership responsibility in regulatory functions and to take on expanded leadership roles in the future.
Effective leaders are continuous learners. Accordingly, the Program demands active engagement of the participants:
- to prepare by completing assigned readings;
- to participate actively in the sessions and the study tour;
- to share responsibility for group activities and presentations;
- to prepare “leadership practice” self assessments at the beginning and end of the program;
- to maintain a learning journal throughout the Program.
The time commitment for participants is a day and a half per month over the Program’s 9 months, with additional time for preparation and a study tour as follows:
- Nine sessions (normally one and one-half days each in duration) totalling 16 days;
- One 3-day study tour in Canada;
- About one additional half-day per month for reading and assignments.
The Program culminates in a Certificate conferred jointly by the University of Ottawa and Carleton University. It does not confer in formal academic credits. The Program modules are offered bilingually in English and French, with participants and presenters alike speaking or writing in the official language of their choice.
How to Apply
Prospective participants should normally meet the following criteria:
- Currently occupy an executive leadership role in the federal or provincial public service (Director General or Director) or an equivalent position;
- Have a desire to assume a greater leadership responsibility in regulatory functions;
- Be recommended by the relevant Deputy Minister, or Assistant Deputy Minister, or CEO/ Vice-President equivalent; and
- Be willing to commit to complete the Program assignments, attend the sessions, and participate actively.
The cost for the Program is $9,500, which covers tuition, instructional materials, on-site meals for Ottawa sessions. Sponsoring organizations also need to cover participants’ travel and accommodation costs for the study tour. The Program fee of $9,500 + HST is payable in one ($9,500) or two ($4,750 each) instalments by the end of April of the relevant year.
Nominations should include:
- a letter explaining the applicant’s reasons for wishing to participate in the Program,
- a letter of support from the relevant Deputy Minister or Assistant Deputy Minister, or CEO/ Vice-President equivalent where appropriate,
- a current curriculum vitae.
We request that applications for Cohort X (beginning in September 2022) be submitted by July 29, 2022.
Nominations should be sent by email to:
Odell House team
Centre on Public Management and Policy
University of Ottawa
Odell House, 180 Waller Street South
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 9B9