The portal is now open for the 2021 Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Development Grants competition. Insight Development Grants support research in its initial stages. Funding is available for two distinct categories of scholars: emerging scholars and established scholars.
Registration is mandatory; please see the Research Management Service website and send an email before December 17th, 2020.
The Faculty of Social Sciences is offering a voluntary proposal review initiative. We are encouraging colleagues to submit their proposals by January 6th for pre-review. An incentive of $500 is offered to colleagues who meet this deadline.
The internal deadline is January 27th, 2021. The application is submitted online through the Research Community Portal. Verify your application and CV and hit submit. Once your application has been submitted it cannot be modified.
Here are additional tips and resources to assist you in preparing your submission.
- December 17, 2020 – internal registration
- January 6, 2021 - Deadline to hand in your draft if you wish to receive detailed feedback
- January 27, 2021 – Internal deadline for electronic submission of application and emailing your completed RE form to sletouze@uOttawa.ca
- February 2, 2021 – SSHRC deadline
The following criteria and scoring scheme are used by adjudication committee members to evaluate Insight Grant applications:
- Challenge—the aim and importance of the endeavour (50%)
- Feasibility—the plan to achieve excellence (20%)
- Capability—the expertise to succeed (30%)
- Detailed description of criteria – marks are awarded for each bullet
Budgets are included in the evaluation process: be reasonable and substantiate every expense. No separate budget justification; you are only allowed 500 characters next to each budget category in the application form, to justify the costs you are asking SSHRC to fund.
- Compensation-Related Expenses
- Current Rates for Research Assistants
- Travel and Subsistence Costs
- Consult Procedure 16-11 for admissible expenses.
- Travel expenses for field work and research conferences for the grantee/students.
- Research Equipment and Supplies
- Paper and ink cartridges used for data collection (questionnaires).
- Printing of electronic articles relevant to the research project.
- Computers and Electronic Communications
- Computers for researchers and students (justify the need).
- Software, printer, video camera, digital recorder, etc.
- Dissemination of Research Results
- Costs associated with the dissemination of findings, including those of publishing in an open access journal.
- Costs of developing and maintaining a Website, preparing a research manuscript, translation and holding a workshop or seminar that relates directly to the funded research.
- Guide to Tri-Agency Financial Administration
- Budget Template
- uOttawa’s Research Management Services will be hosting an information session via Teams on December 9 from 10 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. Register by email
- SSHRC is hosting a webinar in English on December 18, from 1:30 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. Details to access the webinar.
- SSHRC Application instructions
- Advice for Writing a Successful Application
- Instructions Canadian Common CV
- Canadian Common CV FAQ