Are you the next student mentor of the Faculty of Social Sciences?
We are looking for passionate students who will form the dynamic team at the Mentoring Centre of the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Visit the FSS Mentoring Centre or email your resume and cover letter to Corey.MacDonald@uOttawa.ca.
Do not forget to specify the title of your program and your year of study.
Wishing you great success!
Coordinator, Mentoring Centre
Student Mentors - Faculty of Social Sciences Mentoring Centre
September 2020 to April 2021
Share your knowledge, make a difference, and support your peers. Join our team!
Summary of Duties
Student mentors accompany newly admitted students as they adjust to university life. They also meet with 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students from the Faculty in both individual and group settings in order to help them during their studies at university. Mentors help fellow students to develop effective learning strategies and study methods, to adopt work habits that favour academic, personal and professional success, and to become familiar with University rules and practices. Mentors not only help students to better define their goals, but also assist them in making use of the services provided by the Faculty and the University in order to reach their potential and better adjust to university life.
Note: The Student Mentor position does not involve tutoring in any discipline taught at the Faculty of Social Sciences.
- Is bilingual; fluent in speaking and writing in both official languages (English / French)
- Registered full-time in second year or higher, with a strong academic record
- Is knowledgeable about the campus, its faculties and services
- Possess strong communication, organization and leadership skills
- Is capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Is interested in helping others; must be empathetic to students needs
- Demonstrates a strong sense of discretion and professionalism
- Accepted by the Work-Study Program
- Previous experience as a group facilitator (considered an asset)