This program facilitates the organization of regular academic association conferences including more than 500 participants on the University of Ottawa campus. This program aims to increase the visibility of the Faculty of Social Sciences and the University of Ottawa. The funds are meant as additional support to help cover expenses related to the conference organization. Applicants must specify in their application the steps taken in order to obtain external funding and ensuring promotion of the event.
The recipient is expected to acknowledge the Faculty’s financial support in the program, the promotional material and resulting publications, if any.
Funded and eligible applications will be forwarded to the VP Research office in order to obtain matching funding.
The Vice-Dean, Research evaluates the proposals for regular association conferences and may consult the Research Committee.
The main objective of this program is facilitating the transfer of research results within and across disciplines, among Canadian and International researchers.
- The applicant holds a full time tenure or tenure-track professorial position at the University of Ottawa;
- The applicant is a member of the conference/workshop organizing committee;
- The proposed conference includes participants and speakers from outside of the University of Ottawa;
- Proposed conferences are open to student participation, with reduced fees for University of Ottawa students.
April 15th and October 15th* of each year.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications well in advance of the start date of the proposed event. Please keep in mind that the committee cannot award a grant retroactively for an event that has taken place prior to the funding decision.
- Detailed description of the conference or workshop (maximum 4 pages)
- Title and theme of the conference
- Total number of potential participants including students as well as their expertise
- The need and significance of the conference for the research area
- How the conference will contribute to enhance the visibility of research and researchers at the University of Ottawa
- Proposed deliverables and/or dissemination plans
- Program (maximum 4 pages)
- Budget including Sources and amounts of committed external support and eligible expenses (1 page)
- Budget justification (2 pages)
- CV of the applicant
The justification must clearly demonstrate the need for funds from the Conference/Workshop program relative to other funding available (i.e.: faculty, external sources, registration fees for the conference etc).
Eligible expenses include:
- Administrative costs, travel and subsistence fees for out of town speakers according to tri-council guidelines for a maximum of 2 days (honoraria are not permitted)
- Room and audio-visual equipment rentals
- Publication of workshop and conference proceedings
Adjudication Process and Selection Criteria
- Quality and importance of the conference and its contribution to the research area
- Quality and diversity of the participants
- Provisions for the involvement of students
- Quality of the organization and planning for the activity
- Quality of the conference and its expected contribution to the advancement of research, including enhancing the visibility of the University of Ottawa and its researchers
- Budget and budget justification
One PDF document including all elements of the proposal sent by e-mail to rechfss@uOttawa.ca.
If the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline will be extended to the next working day. Incomplete and late applications will not be retained.
For more information, please contact Sophie LeTouzé.
*modified for 2020