Model United Nations Course
Winter 2022 information session will take place on October 18th at noon VIA ZOOM
The uOttawa Winter 2022 Course will be held on campus only every Tuesday from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. room TBT 323. It will not be available online or at a distance.
Model UN conferences bring together students from across the world to simulate sessions of United Nations bodies, such as the Security Council and General Assembly committees. Students represent different countries and advance their foreign policies, as they debate the issues and crises that face the world today.
The Model United Nations course will cover a variety of subject matter, from development to environment to international security. Students will learn about the UN system, a country’s domestic and foreign policy interests, and multilateral diplomacy. They will develop their research, analytic, public speaking, as well as diplomatic skills.
The course FSS 3295 is sanctioned by six units. Through participation in the in-class activities, students will gain understanding and experience of international diplomacy, familiarity with current issues, and confidence in their communication skills.
To cap off the course, students will participate in the prestigious National Model United Nations conference, held in New York City in the spring. During this five-day simulation, delegates get the opportunity to meet students from around the world.
Contact information: fssinternational@uOttawa.ca
Application Process for the Model United Nations Course
1. Eligibility Criteria
When applying, candidates must meet certain requirements:
- Must be registered in an Honours Bachelor offered at the University of Ottawa
- Have completed a minimum of 54 credits in their program at the time they submit their candidacy
- Be able to speak fluently in English
- Be able to participate in course on campus in person winter 2022 (class won't be online or at a distance)
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 6.0
- Have an in-depth knowledge of international relations or international law
- Be able to defend ideas in public
- Be able to participate in a 6 hour preparatory meeting in November if necessary
- Be able to participate, in person, in a preparatory conference QMUN (Quebec Model United Nations) and at the NMUN (National Model United Nations conference in New York City)
- Be able to pay the necessary costs linked to the QMUN and NMUN trips according to the deadline and mode of payment (the group must travel together, no exception allowed)
- Be able to travel legally to the United States
- Conform to Quebec's provincial sanitary measures and New York City sanitary measures
2. Application Process for FSS 3295
Interested students are required to submit their candidacy no later than October 25, 2021 BEFORE 4 p.m. Candidates will be selected according to their experiences and knowledge that could be deemed useful to Model United Nations conferences.
If you are selected for an interview, you will receive an email by October 29, 2021 detailing the possible interview schedule in the week starting November 1st.
Only selected candidates will be contacted. Due to the high number of applications, we won't be able to give feedback on applications.
- You must apply to FSS 3295 by completing the online application form.
3. Documents to be Completed Before Beginning of Course
- Code of Conduct
4. FSS 3295 A - Model United Nations Course Registration
If selected for the course, we will provide the registration form by email in November 2021. The completed form must be returned by email to fssinter@uOttawa.ca if the form is scanned (if you choose the last method, please make sure that the information is legible). Registration for this course is not possible through uOcampus.
Fee associated with the course and the National Model United Nations-NY
Expenses for the trip are the responsibility of the students, and normally range around $1450 CAD.
Please note that the fee may vary. The total cost for the NMUN in New York will be confirmed in January.
The fee includes:
- Round-trip transportation to NMUN and QMUN
- Hotel accommodations for QMUN and NMUN
- Travel insurance
- Delegate fee for NMUN and QMUN
Additional costs not included:
- Food: students should budget approximately $60 USD per day
- COVID19 Testing if required
- Visa if required
- Personal expenses/Sightseeing/Souvenirs: Variable
Students who participate in the FSS3295 Model UN course in New York in spring 2022 will receive a bursary totalling $500 from the International Office and the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Please note that some dates may change.
|ZOOM Information Meeting||October 18 from noon to 1 p.m. VIA ZOOM|
|Deadline to submit application form||October 25 BEFORE 4 p.m.|
|Course registration (if admitted)||November 2021|
|Costs||First day of class|
|Code of conduct||First day of class|
|QMUN||February 12 2022|
|NMUN||April 2 to April 8, 202|