- We are pleased to inform you that Associate Professor Eric Champagne has been appointed Director of the Centre on Governance. Professor Champagne’s mandate is for a period of three years, from July 1st, 2018 to June 30, 2021.
- Senior Fellow, Sharon Jeannotte, along with the support of the Ottawa Culture Research Group (OCRG), published a report entitled “The Social Effect of Culture: A Literature Review”. This literature review is intended as a background document on recent research on the social effects of culture. (11/21/2017)
- Senior Fellow, Cristina D’Alessandro, represented the Centre on Governance at the Third COMESA-ACBF Annual Research Forum in Kigali, Rwanda entitled “Boosting Intra-African Trade through Recs: Perspectives from Comesa Regional Integration Programmes”. Her presentation was entitled “Smart Industrialization in the COMESA: Resource-Based Industrialization for Enhancing Regional Value Chains and Boosting Intra-African Trade” (June 26-30th, 2017).
- Hamad Bin Khalifa University in collaboration with the University of Ottawa's Centre on Governance and a few other international partners in Qatar and elsewhere secured a three-year USD 600,000 grant from the Qatar Foundation's National Priorities Research Program. The project will develop and deliver a local entrepreneurship platform, based on local needs, strengths and traditions, to train and grow start-up entrepreneurs in Qatar. It will immediately facilitate the expansion of a culture of entrepreneurship, in line with the Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities pillar of the Qatar National Vision (QNV) 2030.
- Student researcher at the Centre on Governance, Karolina Werner, has published an article in Revue Gouvernance entitled “Zambia: Governance and Natural Resources”.
- Senior Fellow, Hany Besada, represented the Centre on Governance at the Beijing Forum where he presented a paper titled “The New Silk Road: China's Energy Policy and Strategy in the MENA Region”. Beijing, (China), November 6, 2016.
- From February 16 to 24 2017, Professor Eric Champagne, from the School of Political Studies and from the Centre on Governance will be the guest of the Canadian Embassy in Kuwait, the Supreme Council for Planning and Development and from the Australian College of Kuwait to deliver a series of lectures and to take part to discussions with representatives of the Government of Kuwait on the implementation of the most recent National Development Plans. The two topics he will address are: “Driving Implementation in the Public Sector: A New Governance Perspective” and “The Governance of Smart Cities”.
- New Release: Eric Champagne et Olivier Choinière (2016) Gestion et management public, Le financement des infrastructures municipales et les défis du fédéralisme fiscal canadien, (Volume 4 / n° 3), pp. 25 à 36.
- Senior Fellow, Cristina D’Alessandro, published an article entitled “Géographies accélérées du pétrole et du gaz en Afrique orientale”, in the journal Géoconfluences, published on January 9, 2017.
- The Centre on Governance is pleased to announce that Cristina D’Alessandro, Senior Fellow at the Centre on Governance, along with Frannie Leautier, published a book entitled “Cities and Spaces of Leadership: A Geographical Perspective (International Political Economy Series)”.
- The Centre on Governance is pleased to announce that Hany Besada, Senior Fellow at the Centre on Governance, published a book entitled “Governing Natural Resources for Africa’s Development”.
- Hany Besada, Senior Fellow at the Centre on Governance, along with Ben O’Bright, recently published an article in the journal Third World Quarterly entitled “Maturing Sino–Africa relations”.
- Hany Besada, Senior Fellow at the Centre on Governance, along with Jiajun Xu, Annalise Mathers & Richard Carey, recently published an article in the journal African Geographical Review, entitled “Advancing African agency in the new 2030 transformative development agenda”.
- Senior Fellow, Hany Besada, along with Abdulaziz Al Horr, Ghalia Al Thani, M. Evren Tok, Ben O’Bright, Jason McSparren, published a chapter entitled “Qatar’s Global-Local Nexus: From Soft to Nested Power?”, in: Tok, Evren, Alkhater, Lolwah R.M., Pal, Leslie A. (eds), Policy-making in a Transformative State: The Case of Qatar, Palgrave Macmillan UK, pp. 347-365.
- Senior Fellow, Cristina D’Alessandro, published a chapter entitled “When Nature Becomes a Resource: Spaces of Environmental Protection, Land Management and Development Issues in Francophone Africa”, in: Besada H. (ed), Governing Natural Resources for Africa’s Development, Oxford, Routledge, pp. 171-194.
- Cristina D’Alessandro, Senior Fellow at the Centre on Governance, published a chapter entitled “Rafforzare le capacità per la trasformazione dell’agricoltura e la sicurezza alimentare in Africa”, in: Bini V., Vitale Ney M. (eds.), Alimentazione, cultura e società in Africa. Crisi globali, risorse locali, Milano, Ledizioni, pp. 141-159.
- Senior Fellow, Cristina D’Alessandro, published an article in the journal Géocarrefour (vol. 90, n°2, pp. 141-151), entitled “Hauts lieux et transformations urbaines des capitales africaines”.