The portal is now open for the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Grants Fall 2020 competition. The faculty had a 57.5% success rate for the last round of this competition, so we encourage you to apply. Once again, the Faculty of Social Sciences will be coordinating a voluntary proposal review initiative. We are encouraging colleagues to submit their proposals by August 31st for pre-review. An incentive of $500 is offered to colleagues who meet this early deadline. Here are some tips and resources to assist you in preparing your submission.
Important: the new SSHRC deadline is October 1st, 2020.
- ASAP – Confirm your intention to submit a proposal to Sophie LeTouzé, Senior Research Advisor.
- August 21 – internal registration
- August 31 - Deadline to hand in your draft if you wish to receive detailed feedback
- September 28 - Internal deadline for submitting your application and RE form. Signatures for the RE form are not guaranteed after this date. Verify and electronically submit your application online from your SSHRC portfolio. (Once your application has been submitted, it cannot be modified.)
- October 1 – SSHRC deadline
- Challenge—the aim and importance of the endeavour (40%)
- Feasibility—the plan to achieve excellence (20%)
- Capability—the expertise to succeed (40%)
- Detailed description of criteria – marks are awarded for each bullet
- Selection Committees for Insight Grants: October 2019 Competition
- Definitions for “co-applicant” and “collaborator”
- Budgets are included in the evaluation process; be reasonable and substantiate every expense.
- Guide to Tri-Agency Financial Administration
- Procedure 16-11 - Reimbursement of Travel Expenses
- Policy 21 - Reimbursement to Individuals for University Business Expenses
- Budget Template
- Student salaries
- List of Eligible and Non-eligible Expenses for Stationery and Office Supplies
- SSHRC is hosting a webinar on August 20th, from 1p.m. until 2:30p.m. Details to access the webinar.
- uOttawa’s Research Management Services will be hosting a bilingual information session via Teams on August 27th from 1p.m. until 2p.m. Register by email
- SSHRC Application instructions
- Advice for Writing a Successful SSHRC Application
- Guidelines for Effective Research Training – student training
- Guidelines for Effective Knowledge Mobilization
- Digital Data Management
- SSHRC FAQ
- Resources for FSS researchers
- SSHRC Manual for Adjudication Committee Members 2019-20
- Write your proposal in clear, plain language (non-technical terms) and avoid jargon.
- Use the sub-titles provided in your Detailed Description section.
- Respect the number of pages and presentation guidelines
Faculty of Social Sciences:
Sophie LeTouzé, Senior Research Advisor
Research Management Services:
Francine Payant, Research Grants Officer