Defy the Conventional (DTC) campaign results to date
In 2016–17, almost $1 million dollars was raised in support of Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS) students, programs and research. The funds raised were a combination of gifts, pledges and non-governmental grants.
The Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS) is very grateful to the more than 1,000 FSS alumni who have contributed to the FSS DTC campaign, since its start in 2009. We could not have achieved this level of success without your generosity. We are also extremely appreciative of the financial support of our friends, employees, both present and past, as well as our corporate and foundations donors.
|Achievements to date||2009-2017||$9,043,258|
|Total number of donors who contributed to the campaign||1,570|
|Total number of FSS alumni who donated to the Campaign||1,014|
Making an impact
Here are some examples of the new initiatives funded during the 2016–2017 fiscal year:
- Honouring a political legacy: In memory of the late Mauril Bélanger, uOttawa alumnus and friend, long-time Liberal MP for Ottawa-Vanier and francophone community activist, the Fondation Famille Bertrand decided to establish a lectureship series in his honour.
- Improving health care services: After hearing about the need for improved health care services for women in Canada who are victims of female genital mutilation, regional philanthropist and business person Camille Villeneuve decided to support doctoral research in this area.
- Enhancing our understanding of networks and decision-making: Interested in the impact social networks are having on financial decision-making, Franklin Templeton Investments decided to fund research by award-winning FSS professor Roland Pongou on network economics.
The Faculty of Social Sciences remains grateful for the ongoing generosity of the following individuals, corporations and organizations, among many others:
- Shawn and Khushali Singh
- Wolodymyr George Danyliw Foundation
- Multi-Health Systems
- Encana Corporation
- Canadian Energy Pipeline Association
- Canadian Electricity Association
- Canadian Gas Association
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
“This award has had a tremendous positive influence on my academic career. It has improved my quality of life as a student and has permitted me to share my research, including a recent poster at the American Psychological Sciences Conference in Boston, MA.”
Stacey Kosmerly, PhD candidate and recipient of the MHS Assessments Doctoral Scholarship in Emotional Intelligence
A word of thanks to the FSS Campaign Cabinet
Last but not least, we would like to thank our outstanding Campaign Cabinet for their time and commitment to the Faculty, their personal generosity and their willingness to open doors to new partners. We are deeply indebted to them for their continued support.
- Charles Garneau, Founder and President, Le Black Box
- Duane Green, President and CEO, Franklin Templeton Investments
- Rita Theil, Founder, The Women’s Mentor Initiative
- Sam Boutziouvis, Senior Vice-President, Government Relations, SNC-Lavalin
- Shawn Singh, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, DW Partners
- Steven Stein, Chief Executive Officer, Multi-Health Systems