Excellence in Research Award
The Faculty of Social Sciences’ Excellence in Research Award is granted to a member of the teaching staff who has earned distinction for his or her unit and Faculty as a result of the importance and exceptional characteristics of his or her research work.
All regular professors in the Faculty of Social Sciences. Academic unit chairs and vice-deans are excluded.
Candidates for the Excellence in Teaching Award must be nominated by at least one professor from within the Faculty of Social Sciences, and their nomination supported by the Chair or Director of the candidate’s unit.
Each application must include the following elements:
- A 2 to 4 page statement by the nominee describing his field of research and explaining his most important contributions to research (maximum of 5 contributions).
- A CV
- Two confidential letters of recommendation supporting the application. These letters should come from experts in the field of competence of the nominee who are not in conflict of interest (see below for an explanation). Letters from the University of Ottawa or institutions with which the nominee has been affiliated in the past will not be accepted.
- Letters should focus, among other things, on the quality of the candidate’s publications based on his career stage as well as his contributions to the field or discipline.
- The author must indicate that there is no conflict of interest and that he or she knows the candidate, under what circumstances and for how long.
- The letters should be addressed to Vice-Dean, Research, signed, printed on letterhead and sent directly by the author by e-mail to rechFSS@uOttawa.ca by March 15.
- A confidential letter from the candidate’s Director describing his or her contributions to the intellectual life and the development of the unit and the Faculty. The confidential letter, signed and written on letterhead is sent directly by the Director by email to rechFSS@uOttawa.ca by March 15.
Conflict of Interest
A conflict of interest may be deemed to exist or perceived as such when the experts:
- are affiliated with the nominee’s institution;
- have a personal link with the nominee (including, being a friend, parent, supervisor, mentor or student under his/her supervision);
- have collaborated, published or shared funding with the nominee, in the last 5 years.
March 15 of every year
If no candidates are submitted, the Dean and Vice-Deans will propose nominations.
One PDF document comprising of the candidate’s statement and CV is sent by email to rechfss@uOttawa.ca no later than 4 p.m.
The Selection Committee is chaired by the Vice-Dean, Research, and composed of the members of the Faculty’s Research Committee.
- quality of publications
- contributions to the field or discipline
- international stature
- contributions to the intellectual life and the development of the unit and the Faculty
- supervision of graduate students
- unique characteristics of research
At the Dean's Brunch, the recipient will receive a commemorative plaque as well as a research assistantship and the amount of $2,500 in research funding. Every year, the name of the recipient will be added to the Faculty’s commemorative plaque to be displayed permanently.