Honours Thesis – PSY4276
The School of Psychology invites all 3rd year students in the Honours Psychology program interested in the Honours Thesis (PSY4276/4676) for the 2018-2019 academic year to attend an information session (in English). This year's session will be held on Wednesday, February 14th at 11:30AM in FSS1030.
Honours B.A. with specialization in Psychology
- Completion of the courses PSY2106/2506, PSY2116/2516 and PSY2174/2574
- Completion of the course PSY3307/3707 (Note: this course may be taken concurrently with the Thesis). (It is recommended to register to PSY4130 in 4th year)
- Enroll in 4th year of the Honours B.A. with specialization in Psychology.
- Have a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of at least 7.8*
* The Thesis may be replaced by 6 optional PSY credits at the 4000-level.
The minimum GPA will increase to 8.0 for Fall 2018.
PLEASE NOTE: No exception will be granted
Honours B.Sc. with Specialization in Psychology
- Completion of the courses PSY2106/2506, PSY2116/2516, PSY2174/2574
- Completion of the course PSY3307/3707 (Note: this course may be taken concurrently with the Thesis).
- Completion of all 1st and 2nd year science courses.
- Enrolment in 4th year of the Honours B.Sc. with Specialization in Psychology.
- This course is compulsory to students registered in the Honours BSc with specialization in Psychology who will register in 4th year.
- Registration is not accessible through your student center. Please complete the registration form and return it in person at the Undergraduate Studies Office of the Faculty of Social Sciences located in the Faculty of Social Sciences Building (FSS), room 3010 or by fax: 613-562-5311.
Finding an Honours Thesis supervisor
Finding an Honours Thesis supervisor should be done only when all eligibility criteria are fulfilled. Registration for the Honours Thesis may be done with the Faculty of Social Sciences, Undergraduate Studies Office (Faculty of Social Sciences Building, Room 3010) – Fax : 613-562-5311.
- Consult the list of Honours Thesis supervisors for 2017-2018
- Approach the professor(s) who have an area of research that interests you, by communicating with them via e-mail, to ask for an appointment. During that meeting, you will have to establish the modalities and the research to begin. This approach is normally done starting in March.
- The students that have not found a supervisor in September will meet with the coordinator during the first course in September. The coordinator will have an updated list of available professors. Students who are not successful in finding an Honours Thesis supervisor will have to withdraw from the Thesis.
- It is possible for a student to complete their Honours Thesis with a professor from another University, by letter of permission. The eligibility criteria are the same as the ones for registration to the Honours Thesis at the University of Ottawa. In this case, it is compulsory to have a written authorization from the Coordinator of Honours Thesis, Luc Pelletier or the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Jean-Philippe Thivierge.
Additional Information – Blackboard
When you are registered to the course, you will have access to Brightspace developed for the Honours Thesis in Psychology.
Honours Thesis Coordinator
Luc Pelletier, PhD
School of Psychology
University of Ottawa
136 Jean-Jacques Lussier
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5 Canada
Tel: 613-562-5800 (7503), Fax: 613-562-5147