Welcome to uOttawa’s Faculty of Social Sciences
If you’re an international student thinking of studying the Social Sciences at uOttawa, in Canada, you’re at the right place!
On this page, we’ve gathered links which we think may help you navigate through your questions and our sites.
- Find general information for international students
- Visit the Faculty of Social Sciences’ main website
- Here’s your one-stop shop for social sciences’ undergraduate information
- Take a virtual tour of the modern and award winning Social Sciences Building
- Visit uOttawa’s main website
- Why live in Ottawa & Ottawa tourism information
- Meet some of our students and find out what they say about why they chose our programs (scroll down this page for a list of all our units, their websites and to view specific testimonials)
Thinking outside of the box: unique student services & people
More than 10,000 students are currently enrolled in the Faculty of Social Sciences, which makes our faculty the largest one at uOttawa. Over one quarter of the university’s total student population (approximately 43,000 students) are enrolled in one of our many programs.
We recognise that today’s issues require a different approach, one that encourages bold minds to come together to share ideas, re-frame the questions, and redefine the debate. Our graduates obtain degrees that are recognized worldwide and they enjoy successful careers around the globe.
uOttawa: Defying the conventional
- Founded in 1848, uOttawa is now the largest French-English bilingual university in the world—a crossroads of cultures, languages and perspectives that drives new ideas. You can study in English, French or both.
- We are among the top 2% of universities worldwide.
- We rank among the 10 most research-intensive universities in Canada and ranked as one of the top 200 universities in the world.
- We are comprised of 10 faculties offering more than 450 undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs to some 43,000 students from across Canada and 150 countries.
- Mixing it up inspires game-changing ideas. Our unique collaborations across disciplines means our expertise is sought after by government and industry.
- Canada's commitment to bilingualism is fundamental to what we are as a country. The University of Ottawa has nurtured this vision of bilingualism. We offer outstanding programs in French, in English and in both languages. Our campus lives, learns and plays in both languages.
Social sciences: list of our schools, departments and institutes
Social scientists help shape the world thanks to the contributions they make through research and through policy analysis and development. They examine everything from micro and macro systems, to networks, relationships, societies, cultures, communities, individuals and their behaviours. They are critical in helping us make sense of our fast-paced and continuously changing world.
All of our social sciences’ academic programs, be they disciplinary or multidisciplinary, fit under one of our Faculty’s nine schools, departments or institutes. Go ahead and visit the ones that interest you to learn more!
- Meet Criminology student Sharifa Mahamad Hadi
- Meet Economics student Brendon Andrews
- Meet student Katherine Aciro (International Economics & Development)
- Meet Economics student Oumar Dicko (French with English subtitles)
- Meet a fellow Economics international student Gloria Mukonkole (French with English subtitles)
- Testimonial from student Jean-Philippe Vinette (French with English subtitles)
- Why study at the GSPIA? (bilingual video)
- Testimonial from student Cayley Pimentel (Conflict Studies & Human Rights)
- Testimonial from student Sally Dimachki (Conflict Studies & Human Rights – French with English subtitles)
- Testimonial from students:
- Testimonial from Sociology student Evan Tai-Kow Nip
- Testimonial from student Nicolas Rasiulis (French with English subtitles)
Unique FSS features
- Testimonial from student Sonny Xue who talks about the general social sciences’ program
- Join the uOttawa Model United Nations Course and visit New York
- Watch a 5-min video following the uOttawa Model UN 2013 delegation
- Here’s what happens when staff, professors and students came together to perform in the Social Sciences’ first flash mob, choreography and music by uOttawa graduates.
Our location and openness to diversity: another unique advantage
We are located in the city of Ottawa, Canada’s capital and centre for political activity.
Given the reputation of our Faculty as a neutral space where dialogue flourishes and where languages and cultures cross-pollinate, we attract students from all around the world. We have established a tradition of welcoming politicians from across the political spectrum, academics from myriad disciplines, government officials from various sectors, and leaders from all kinds of organizations and associations.
This means that students like you have the opportunity of learning in a vibrant and dynamic laboratory of ideas. We embody the Canadian spirit. We believe in measured, intelligent choices, democratically made by people who are thoughtful and well informed.